Using Process Monitor was an enormous help when I had no clues but:
An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.
Hey, that’s me! And then:
Microsoft JET Database Engine error ‘80004005’
/myapp/myscript.asp, line 9
Ok, so I suspected that the first problem was due to the fact that I needed to activate asp scripts in some way. However, turns out it was a new setting for sending the error message to the client (maybe it has existed somewhere before, but I’ve never had to change it). This setting is located in the new IIS Manager:
Features View, ASP, Debugging Properties, Send Errors to Browser
But this only got me to the second error message. And that, I had seen before. It should have something to do with file and directory permissions. Being uncertain about which user IIS 7 actually runs legacy asp scripts as, I used Process Monitor to find the “IUSR” user. But givning that user full permissons to the directory where my.mdb resided didn’t help. So back to Process Monitor – filtering on failed operations from the w3wp.exe process. Ahh! Temporary files. Of course! The OLEDB driver needs access to the system temporary folder to store some files when opening the connection to the database file. And the location for this in Vista is:
Now, UAC can really drive you mad. I wonder how long I can take it before giving up and turning it off. For security purposes, it is of course great. Then again, I’ve run Windows for a lot of years as a member of the Administrators group, and never had any real security issues. At least not any that I know of… 🙂
Pasting “C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Local\Temp” into the address bar of Explorer will tell you that it doesn’t exist. Well, I didn’t believe Vista so I removed the ending directories until Vista told me that I had to elevate priviliges to get into one of the parent folders. Ok, I did that and now I could get into the full path. Great. A warning that I was changing file permissons on a system directory was all that was standing between me and success – and thankfully that was not an obstacle.
So now I’m running my old asp-scripts until I’ve had the opportunity to convert all projects to asp.net.